Image Map

September 17, 2014

Dorm Room DIY



In my latest post I showed my dorm room, and it had craft projects I had made to decorate it. Today, I'm going to share a little bit about my process.

The Delta Delta Delta canvas I painted a dark purple, after that dried I painted a white wash over it (watered down white paint). I then made a delta stencil, painted them silver, and free-handed the words underneath. This took me about 2 day with drying time etc. 

The stand up letters seen on the book shelf in black and white are cardboard letters found at the craft store and then wrapped in wash tape. This took me about 1 day. Anyone can do these, they are so easy, even if you aren't crafty at all! 


These next 3 projects are for those that are a little more crafty! For the Seattle Skyline canvas I used the same purple paint I had used for the Delta Delta Delta canvas and painted that, let it get tacky, then used a brush with just water to brush over and create a water color gradient. Just play with it until you get it how you like! After that dried I free-handed a skyline in black. 

The two letters with skyline on them are wood letters I painted with 2 coats of black, and then free-handed the skyline, and painted with 2 coats of silver paint. a little more artistic talent is needed for these, but only took me a few days to complete with drying time!


The last project I made for my room was the black and white prints I attached to christmas lights with clothes pins I painted black. 

 This project was the easiest but most time consuming of all of them! All I did was collect the photos I wanted to print, then in iPhoto, cropped them to squares, turned them black and white, and adjusted brightness and contrast until I loved how they looked, then printed. It was super easy, and I printed about 50 pictures to decorate with. 

I hope this post gives you some ideas to decorate your room, or inspires you to just get a little crafty!
X, Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment